Kre-O G.I. Joe: Blind Bags and "Serpent Armor Strike"

Alexx gives us his unique pics, reviews and insight on the world of G.I. Joe.

Moderators: Alexx, The Jugglers

Kre-O G.I. Joe: Blind Bags and "Serpent Armor Strike"

Postby Alexx » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:27 am

I went through and looked for posts where I start out with "Hey, it's been awhile!" or something to that extent, and MAN I take a lot of "breaks!" Meaning: uh...geeze, I dunno.

Anyway, I'm back again! And guess what i'm doing to you?

Yeah, that's right. ALL this time and I come back to you with Hasbro's new foray into the building-toy business: Kre-O! Well okay, so it's not new at the moment - they started with Transformers. It's new to Joes, though!

However, before I turn the chair backwards and rap with you guys, lemme explain something about my physiology: You see, when enough time passes without me doing some sort of insane toy jokes, the "Comedy Fluids" (of which I will never refer to as such again) build up in me. Hence my return and the utter mess of jokes you'll be seeing below. Now whether or not I'm filled with "good" comedy is up to you! I apologize ahead of time for anyone with a slow connection or hatred for Alexx (because I know you can't stay away, baby).

Now to start, since it's been so long, I bring a peace offering of Techno-Vipers as they open the new blind bagged Joes:

In case you didn't know: Blind-bagged minifigures are ALL THE RAGE right now. Everyone's doing them - even if they don't have a building toyline! So thankfully Hasbro jumped on the train, 'cause they sell like hotcakes AND Hasbro makes it nice 'n easy to find who you want if you're not into the whole "blind" thing. General's Joes has a nice post with all the the numbers you'll need to know and who they correspond to. On the back of the package on the far right edge you'll see a line of numbers (should be visible on the pic). There will be a few numbers, a space, and two lone numbers: Those are what you're looking for. Happy hunting!

Inside you'll find the items inside another little bag along with some directions in case you don't get how humans are shaped. They mostly explain everything, but a few figures have some particulars that i'll hit a little further down.

Now Kre-O guys are gona be a bit more articulated than your regular Lego minifigure (and a little less articulated than a standard Mega Bloks Halo guy). They've got ball jointed shoulders and hips, along with a separate legs and torso and a head that works just like Lego guys. The hands hold the same sides weapons and accessories as Lego guys and can even share items that go around their necks - but heck, they can share just about anything Lego! You'll see that later.

The final result is a pretty cool dude! You're of course getting a standard buck painted differently, and they've kinda got these chunka-wrists, so there's always some fleshy bulbs there...but come on, who is gona be bothered by that when they're already all brick-like? These are minifigures - you expect this stuff.

Now some figures come with extras, like Kamakura and Jinx here:

You'll notice they're wearing some little cloth sashes around their waists. This isn't really new to minifigures, but it is in terms of waist items. It works like this:

The left circle goes on first, then the right on top of it. Sadly, the main body doesn't really clamp down on it well enough for my tastes, and they keep coming apart. Keep in mind when opening packages, though: There is a nice little "tear here" area at the top, so don't cut with scissors! You risk cutting the sash or other items like the rope that comes with the Ninja Viper.

Sadly you gotta tie that rope on there yourself, and I'm always terrible with that, so I just took it off. The ninja Viper sports what all the ninjas have in these sets: A back holster that has three different places for blades! Two angled ones that allow sword to criss-cross and one on top for any extras. I'm pretty sure the Ninja Viper here is pretty much what Storm Shadow will look like sans the vicious teal color of terror.

Catch All my Ninjas from The Block tonight on Fox, 'cause it'll be canceled next week!

Now I had access to all the blind bag guys, but I only got the ones I was interested in, so not all are present.

As you can tell, you're never missing out on any details with these guys 'cause they don't need to mold any new items - just paint 'em! So they are faithful representations (blocky ones) of your favorites. For the most part they also represent their accessories as well as they can. The Crimson Guard has a clip so you can attach the bayonet to the end of the gun, while the Trooper has an extra item to put on the end of the barrel to make it longer and more snipery....along with a "missile" item that normally goes on the arms of guys like Starscream. That's supposed to be the scope, but sadly it doesn't fit very well, so you gotta mess with it to get it to stay.

Now before I get to my favorites, lemme go over the special guy to the party: The Adventure Team Commander! Yes, that is flocked hair. He's carried over from the old 12 inch figure days, so he comes with nice homages to his heyday, like a shouting head:

And that is of course there to mimic his pose on the front of his old box...which he...comes with?

Please don't mistake my confusion for distaste, however - 'cause this is hilarious and awesome. The little block comes blank though, so you gotta put a sticker on it. Along with said sticker they give you a classic Adventure Team sticker to put where you like:

I haven't found a place for it yet; we'll see what happens. Main point is, I don't care how you decide to collect this line (or not at all): Don't skip this guy. He's number 85, just look for him and buy him. He's hilarious and I love him. If you buy no other Kre-O stuff, get this fuzzy SOB.

Now, on to my vintage favorites:

Alley Vipers! I bothered to get two of these guys - I love 'em so much. They went all out with these guys and gave them a gun, the helmets (just recolored cycle helmets with the visors painted orange to match with the cobra symbol on them), backpacks, and a modified gun with a clip and a grappling hook that attaches to the back of the pack! Also, for some reason, they gave 'em two different sized shields...not sure why.

Here's where the real fun started! I realized that my building to use as a background was WAY too big and wouldn't really look like a building to these guys. I was looking around for something to use and then DUUUUUH - my wife collects the big Lego buildings! PERFECT! I mean this all lines up just perfectly, and suddenly the real awesomeness of these figures dawned on me: I have Joes to use with Lego sets!

*cough* And I'm insane -

But anyway, that's it for the blind bagged items! I didn't want to break the bank in one go, so I only chose one of the boxed sets so far, and of course I chose the mech!

First off, the pics on the directions and box kinda put things on differently. The gun arm has a separate flame thrower, but they look one and the same on the picture and....hey...

Those suckers stole my blazers joke!

Seriously though, it's kind of an awkward gun, and I plan on rebuilding it to be something less of a stick-and-a-sorta-flamethrower.

But lets get the Techno-Vipers to build 'em up real quick!

All done! So, that mech:

He's got a real SNAKE armor vibe goin' on! In fact, I'd call it an upgrade, or perhaps a sideways-grade. Not so much an improvement, but a change and redirection on the original design. You can see stickers that match stickers on the old SNAKE armor and of course it matches the color scheme. The "Cobra Mech Pilot" (as he's called) fits right in the center under a harness:

He's got a heck of a design and I'd love to see him and his mech in the Joe toyline proper! Anyway, he comes with a grenade launcher for his side-arm, and you can attach that in any available area (I did it under the right-hand shoulder armor of the mech). The mech itself is very fun! He's got ball jointed shoulders and hips, and moveable elbows and ankles (no knees). It's just enough to have fun without having him get into a tangled mess from too much articulation. The neat part is the claw: it's set up in such a way that it snaps closed and open without any rubber bands or springs. He pretty much works as-is save for the wonky-lookin' gun arm.

UUUUUHHHH moving on! I dunno what you'd call the "main event" in this pack, 'cause I thought the mech was gona be my main love, but the VAMP is pretty rockin' as well!

See, the Tranformer Kre-O didn't impress me much 'cause they took out the fun part of Transformers - quick transformations. That's why I'm not as fond of TFs that are hard to transform...I usually end up leaving those in robot form. The Kre-O Transformer stuff has to be taken apart and build into vehicle or robot - UGH. Too much work! Granted, that's the point of building toys, but with Lego you eventually take things apart and build your own things. It's not like taking apart one thing and continuously building one other thing or the same thing you just took apart. On top of that, the Transformer Kre-O stuff has a TON of parts - they need joints to be a robot and other parts to be a vehicle. So you end up bricklaying layers and layers and layers of boring chunks that eventually build a vehicle, 'cause they need to use most of those other parts so not much is lying around afterward.

Obviously, we don't have to deal with that here! The builds are much more fun and simple, if not almost a little too simple. There's something you can tell from building Legos for awhile that says: These Lego people KNOW building. You know? Building a Kre-O thing trips little marks in a Lego builder's head that says "yeah, might wana reinforce that" or "hm, something is wrong here." Don't get me wrong: nothing is falling apart here, and WHOA is it better than Built to Rule! Way way WAAAY better - don't even mention that in the same sentence as Kre-O. Still, there are tiny things here and there that says: This isn't Lego. Nothing that should stop you from buying these, of course.

Cool thing about Kre-O arms is that they can get close to grabbing the steering wheels! One thing though:

Car is a little tall compared to the Kreons! Are jeeps usually that tall? Not that it matters - it looks just fine in all other respects.

Final verdict is that I'm all about the G.I. Joe Kre-O! I was on the fence a little at first. I knew I was gona like them, but the Transformer stuff was just okay. However, these guys are much more fun since the builds don't have to be anything other than what they are, and GEEZE MAN they're official Joes for your Lego sets! That's what really kicked me into gear. I LOVE LOVE LOVED having these guys crawl over the buildings 'n such, 'cause I've never had full sprawling playsets for anything before. Granted, I'm not sayin' you should all go out and buy these bigass expensive Lego buildings, but MAN they help! It's so friggin' cool, I tell ya.

*AHEMCOUGHAGACK* and yeah, drive things on the buildings too! 'Cause that's a thing that happens. In my brain areaIDON'TKNOW

I love these things. I didn't think I would as much as I do, but I just love having little Joe block guys to crawl all over my existing Legos. I highly suggest them if you've already got a Lego collection. If not, then they may be an interesting little side collection (and cheaper to army build, if you're into that kinda thing). if nothing else, pick up a set or get a blind bag or two and see what you think. I think having them in hand will change your mind if you're not on board!

HA-HAAAAAA OH MAN. Ha...yeah. I think I made my points.

PSYCH! Nah, there's more jokes! Scroll on down buddy.

OMG I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.

Elena: "Ahhh! The bugs, they didn't listen to me!"

Simon: "You keep talking like that and we'll only see you at visiting hours..."

"More ninjas need to carry abnormally large rifles that serve no purpose but to shoot shurikens twice the size of manhole covers." ~ Gray Fox

Image Image
Alexx
THE Review Guy
THE Review Guy

Re: Kre-O G.I. Joe: Blind Bags and "Serpent Armor Strike"

Postby Dusty Ayers » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:03 am

Cool review, thanks. I was on the fence about these guys but I think I will go for them. I've heard a couple other people say they don't stay together as we'll as Legos do though.
You can never go home again, Oatman ... but I guess you can shop there.
Dusty Ayers
I got my Skystriker!!!!!!!!

Postby Leonardo T Dragon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:27 am

I sense a T-shirt coming!!!

Genius! Great work as always Alexx and I too concur that the AT Commander is the best of the bunch!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

- Harry Lime, The Third Man
Leonardo T Dragon
Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin

Postby Alexx » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:12 am

Dusty Ayers wrote:Cool review, thanks. I was on the fence about these guys but I think I will go for them. I've heard a couple other people say they don't stay together as we'll as Legos do though.

The only parts that don't stay as well is the joint holding the torso to the legs, but it's not like it falls apart or anything. Just a tad loose compared to Legos. Even worse with those sashes on, though. Nothin' that should stop you from getting a few if you're interested.

Leonardo T Dragon wrote:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Alexx1083/0%20Joe%20Reviews%200/ACallTwoArms.jpg

I sense a T-shirt coming!!!

Genius! Great work as always Alexx and I too concur that the AT Commander is the best of the bunch!

Thanks! I always thought "too arms" should have meant something about pulling arms off. It's funny; I didn't grow up anywhere near the Adventure Team time but I find them so cool! And hilarious. One of those old fashioned times when MEN WERE MEN and all that stuff. You know, punching bears and wrestling giant squid only to have a laugh around the fire later about how the bear teared up a little and growled out "uncle" when he held him down and told him too. Man stuff!

But seriously: it's the flocked hair.
OMG I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.

"More ninjas need to carry abnormally large rifles that serve no purpose but to shoot shurikens twice the size of manhole covers." ~ Gray Fox

Image Image
Alexx
THE Review Guy
THE Review Guy

Postby zedhatch » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:20 pm

Coll review as always.

I look at these things and think "Neat" but then keep on trucking. Nothing here interests me enough to actually purchase. I like the idea but just don't want to commit to it myself.

Updated Mon-Fri every week.
zedhatch
Master Sergeant

Postby Monte Williams » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:14 pm

I had no intention of getting these 'cause I didn't realize they had produced an Adventure Team figure OH MY GOD THEY PRODUCED AN ADVENTURE TEAM FIGURE.

I'll be getting him for sure.

You do know that he has to confront Man-Beard, right?

Also, how much Retaliation product have you snagged? I recently got a second job for spending money, and I get paid a week from today, and so just in case it's less than I'm expecting or whatever, I'm keeping everything in the package until the paycheck arrives so I can return stuff if need be, but sitting in the toy room at the moment is:

Wave 2 Joe 3-pack (two of 'em)
Wave 2 Cobra 3-pack
Joe Colton (two of 'em, but only so's I can have one good one; one has the derpy eyes and the other has scratches on his legs)
Cyber Viper (soooo cool)
Lady Jaye (quite a massive disappointment; I may trade her)
Roadrock version 1
Roadrock version 2
Sigma 6-esque Cobra Commander in black
Joe Trooper

I think that's it.

I can't wait to photograph it all... and for you to review it all!

Also, update your blog more frequently, you bastard.
Autobotic Asphyxiation
Essays On Popular Culture

http://autoboticasphyxiation.wordpress.com/

Two-Fisted Toy Talk!
Wherein Monte Williams Discusses, Photographs,
Customizes and Otherwise Plays With Children's Toys

http://twofistedtoytalk.wordpress.com/

Geek Creek Flickr Stream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geekcreek/
Monte Williams
Captain

Postby Alexx » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:26 pm

Monte Williams wrote:I had no intention of getting these 'cause I didn't realize they had produced an Adventure Team figure OH MY GOD THEY PRODUCED AN ADVENTURE TEAM FIGURE.

I'll be getting him for sure.

Good! Best thing in the single packs, honestly. He comes with two heads: Smirking because he's better than you, and OOOOOOHHHHH!!

You do know that he has to confront Man-Beard, right?

You talkin' 'bout MAN KING? 'Cause dang...you're right. I'll have to cook something up.

Also, how much Retaliation product have you snagged? I recently got a second job for spending money, and I get paid a week from today, and so just in case it's less than I'm expecting or whatever, I'm keeping everything in the package until the paycheck arrives so I can return stuff if need be, but sitting in the toy room at the moment is:

Wave 2 Joe 3-pack (two of 'em)
Wave 2 Cobra 3-pack
Joe Colton (two of 'em, but only so's I can have one good one; one has the derpy eyes and the other has scratches on his legs)
Cyber Viper (soooo cool)
Lady Jaye (quite a massive disappointment; I may trade her)
Roadrock version 1
Roadrock version 2
Sigma 6-esque Cobra Commander in black
Joe Trooper

I think that's it.

I can't wait to photograph it all... and for you to review it all!

Only two things so far: The new Joe 3 pack (one with Mouse) and the "Battle Kata" Rockblock. I plan on going over those next regardless of how backlogged I am with everything else. I am VERY much looking forward to the Cyber Viper, who will probably end up being a single character for me, and Colton because Willis. Sad to head about Lady Jaye, but I'll probably still get her. And VERY glad to head you got the Joe Trooper!! Isn't he awesome?

Have you found any Red Ninjas yet? I ended up with an extra that I never took out of the package if you still need one.

Also, update your blog more frequently, you bastard.

[brooklyn accent]EH I'm workin' on it! *hand gesture*[/brooklyn accent]
OMG I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.

Image Image
Alexx
THE Review Guy
THE Review Guy

Postby Monte Williams » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Man-King. Damn! I feared I had his name wrong.

He'll kill me now, I suspect.

As for Red Ninja, our old pal TENIME_art sent me a PM at da Hiss Tank a while ago suggesting he wanted to send me one (my hero!)... I have since found one and bought it and added it to the pile of unopened stuff, in case TENIME_art's house gets hit by a meteor or something before he can send it to me. 'Cause one way or another, I will have me a damn Red Ninja!

Kata Roadblock is cool, but those holsters look obnoxious. I'm gonna try to replace them.

And yeah, Cyber Viper will definitely be an individual character for me, too. I think I'll pair him up with my glowy-blue Wraith and make 'em a team of high tech types.
Autobotic Asphyxiation

Two-Fisted Toy Talk!

Geek Creek Flickr Stream

Monte Williams
Captain

Postby Metal Dog » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Darn you Alexx, first you make me buy all 4 of the TMNT from the reviews on your blog, and now this! These are just too cool! I'm almost scared to see you review the Kreo sets with the Hiss tank, Skystriker, and the Hydrofoil/Water Moccasin. And I'm running out of display room for toys... ;)
Metal Dog
Private

Postby Alexx » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Monte Williams wrote:Man-King. Damn! I feared I had his name wrong.

He'll kill me now, I suspect.

You respected his beard, and that is enough.

As for Red Ninja, our old pal TENIME_art sent me a PM at da Hiss Tank a while ago suggesting he wanted to send me one (my hero!)... I have since found one and bought it and added it to the pile of unopened stuff, in case TENIME_art's house gets hit by a meteor or something before he can send it to me. 'Cause one way or another, I will have me a damn Red Ninja!

Good-good! Well I might as well open 'em up then and maybe build a Slice since they don't seem to want to acknowledge his existence beyond his mask.

Kata Roadblock is cool, but those holsters look obnoxious. I'm gonna try to replace them.

Lemme know how that goes; I haven't explored it yet, but I think I may review him next so I'll be checking it out.

And yeah, Cyber Viper will definitely be an individual character for me, too. I think I'll pair him up with my glowy-blue Wraith and make 'em a team of high tech types.

AW that just made me think how awesome it would be to swap part between him and the translucent blue Wraith! MAN I wish I had found him back then!

Metal Dog wrote:Darn you Alexx, first you make me buy all 4 of the TMNT from the reviews on your blog, and now this! These are just too cool! I'm almost scared to see you review the Kreo sets with the Hiss tank, Skystriker, and the Hydrofoil/Water Moccasin. And I'm running out of display room for toys... ;)

I wasn't planning on reviewing more Kre-O, but I can if you like! Not sure what else I'm getting yet, but the HISS is certainly on the list. Haven't seen it as of yet. I'll try to keep things up so you end up BUYING MOOOORE.

Speaking of TMNT: I bought the "pizzabox" small playset that pops up - it's awesome! I'll be going over that at some point as well.
OMG I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.

Image Image
Alexx
THE Review Guy
THE Review Guy

Postby Metal Dog » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Alexx wrote:
Metal Dog wrote:Darn you Alexx, first you make me buy all 4 of the TMNT from the reviews on your blog, and now this! These are just too cool! I'm almost scared to see you review the Kreo sets with the Hiss tank, Skystriker, and the Hydrofoil/Water Moccasin. And I'm running out of display room for toys... ;)

I wasn't planning on reviewing more Kre-O, but I can if you like! Not sure what else I'm getting yet, but the HISS is certainly on the list. Haven't seen it as of yet. I'll try to keep things up so you end up BUYING MOOOORE.

Speaking of TMNT: I bought the "pizzabox" small playset that pops up - it's awesome! I'll be going over that at some point as well.

*Sigh*, review them if you must. Actually I would like to see lots of pics of the Hiss Tank and the other sets sometime. And as if to demonstrate my point above, I just moused into Kata Roadblock, who knocked over Leonardo, who wiped out the other 3 turtles and the Hulk. :roll:

I just googled it. OMG, that box is sweet...
Metal Dog
Private

Postby Dusty Ayers » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:02 pm

I'm psyched for the Skystriker too. I didn't realize it was mixed in with the images until they had been posted for awhile.
You can never go home again, Oatman ... but I guess you can shop there.
Dusty Ayers

Postby Monte Williams » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:08 am

Incidentally, in my sleep-deprived stupor I had neglected to say:

Thanks for offering to set me up with a Red Ninja, man.

Also, d'ja know about this?

http://www.oafe.net/yo/shda_mmr.php
Autobotic Asphyxiation

Two-Fisted Toy Talk!

Geek Creek Flickr Stream

Monte Williams
Captain

Postby sinchicken » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Great review Alexx!

I've been so excited about these since they were announced. I'm a huge Lego fan and I have a few Mega Bloks items and Transformers Kre-o sets.

I received the battle platform set in the mail the other day and I have the rest of the sets and a bunch of blind bags coming soon.

The quality definitely isn't a good as lego and the building techiniques are a bit iffy, but hey, its freakin' G.I. Joe!

I bought a bunch of the TF Kre-Os just to get the minifigs, so I'll be using the parts to build stuff for the Joes. I don't want to use legos to build things for them because I'm weird like that. I guess it's block segregation, but they'll have to get over it. I'm gonna try to build the yellow 6 wheeled vehicle from the Adventure team first.

I hate that they are TRU exclusives since the nearest TRU to me is over an hour away and their online availability is spotty. But, I really hope they sell well and continue for a long time.

If anyone else is ordering the blind bags instead of getting to see the codes in person, we'll have to set up some trades. I have 25 ordered so hopefully I can come close to a full set with some duplicates of the Cobra troops.

Also, a quick observation: I understand inflation and all but did you notice the single figs are around the same price as carded Joes used to be in the eighties and nineties? lol
sinchicken
Sergeant First Class

Postby Alexx » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:46 pm

Monte Williams wrote:Incidentally, in my sleep-deprived stupor I had neglected to say:

Thanks for offering to set me up with a Red Ninja, man.

Also, d'ja know about this?

http://www.oafe.net/yo/shda_mmr.php

Hey, no problem! Ya know...even if I offered too late.

But yes...yes I do. I'm trying to ignore it for a bit until I have side money to spend on 'em. They also have a Bass coming! And I think they're still working on Sigma from Mega Man X, which should be AWESOME, 'cause I've always wanted a figure of classic Sigma. Man, I should really do a run-down on the D-Arts Mega Man X stuff so far.

sinchicken wrote:The quality definitely isn't a good as lego and the building techiniques are a bit iffy, but hey, its freakin' G.I. Joe!

Yeah, that's pretty much the feeling here! Plus, Hasbro really has come a long way since Built To Rule, so when compared to that Kre-O is ART.

I bought a bunch of the TF Kre-Os just to get the minifigs, so I'll be using the parts to build stuff for the Joes. I don't want to use legos to build things for them because I'm weird like that. I guess it's block segregation, but they'll have to get over it. I'm gonna try to build the yellow 6 wheeled vehicle from the Adventure team first.

Yeah, I'm totally using Legos for them! The buildings my wife gets are too tempting. I've never had a door for an Alley Viper to bust down before, ya know? But yeah, I'm lookin' at my TF Kre-O guys and lickin' my chops. I liked them, but now that I have Joes I suddenly see them as parts...

Also, a quick observation: I understand inflation and all but did you notice the single figs are around the same price as carded Joes used to be in the eighties and nineties? lol

*sigh* I understand inflation as well, but it's still gona hurt. Heck, the "cheap" figures that Hasbro is doing now in the superhero lines are around the price of a Spytroops two pack! I think...if I have my prices right.
OMG I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.

Image Image
Alexx
THE Review Guy
THE Review Guy

Next

Return to Short's Shots